Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lemon Tilapia

For dinner the other night I cooked tilapia for the hubby and myself. It has to be my favourite fish other than the fresh water fish I catch at the cottage. It is very easy to cook and hard to screw up which is good for beginners. I generally buy fish fresh at the grocery store as I find frozen tilapia can be a bit fishy. I payed about $6 for two large fillets of tilapia at loblaws. Here is the recipe, if you are generally not a fish person I recommend this type of fish as its flaky and has a subtle flavour. 
 
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

Tilapia fillets - one fillet per person (fresh preferred)
1 clove garlic
1 lemon
1 teaspoon of butter or margarine

1. Heat a medium sized cooking pan at medium heat
2. Melt the teaspoon of butter or margarine on the pan, reduce heat to medium low
3. Run the fish under cool water and rinse
4. Once the butter is melted, place fillets on the pan
5. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon onto the fish 
6. Mince the garlic and add it to the fry pan
7. Cook on the one side for 4-5 minutes, you will start to see the fish cooking through
8. Flip and cook for 3-4 minutes, the fish is cooked when it is white all the way through 
9. Serve fish with your favourite veggies 

** For this meal I steamed broccoli and fried leftover brown rice I had with corn, onions and a scrambled egg! yum :)


Chef Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment